To make your days as productive as possible, the first step is to clear the clutter from your mind and life. Here are some very simple yet effective tips, which will make the most of your day.
1. Chalk out a detailed plan to reach your target. For instance, let’s assume that you want to clear the clutter in your room. What if your room looks like a pigsty, and you have not found the time to clean it for months? You will feel overwhelmed and may not even know where to start. So to achieve the goal of cleaning your room, break the goal into small steps. Jot down a list of things you need to do, in order to clear up all the stuff that you have collected. Decide on things you want to throw away like old shoes, clothes, make-up products etc. Once this is done, set up a time limit for each of these steps. You have now broken down a task that seemed overwhelming, into a doable task that has several small steps.
2. Ask someone in your life to be your accountability partner. It could be your sibling, partner, parent or a good friend. This person can help you attain your goals, since you would have to keep updating him/her on your progress regularly. Your accountability partner will help you achieve your goals and overcome hurdles.
3. Remember that there might be hurdles along the way. Several people give up on their goals, just because they face a few unexpected obstacles. It could be an internal obstacle or an external one. Obstacles could be things like discipline issues, negative thinking, limiting belief system, lack of time etc. Try to analyze the situation and understand the hurdles that might come up, so that you can get past them.
4. Once you know the kind of hurdles you might have to face, have an action plan ready. Let’s say you have set a goal for yourself, according to which you will give up smoking in 6 months. What if you are in the company of smokers? What if someone offers you a cigarette? Initially, you can try and excuse yourself when you are in the company of smokers. You can try out nicotine patches. When you go to restaurants, you can choose to sit in the non-smokers zone. Just have a plan to cope with various obstacles that might come your way.
5. Every time you succeed, celebrate and rejoice. As you work towards your large goal, you will have to get past various small ones. Every time you achieve one of these smaller goals, reward yourself. This will help you stay motivated, since you will always be aiming at finishing a small goal to get to the reward. It might take years before you can reach your long-term goal, but your efforts towards this goal need to be rewarded.
Reaching your target is not always easy, but every time you move away from the path, get right back on. You may have to take a few detours, you may have to get some rest, but never give up. Never lose hope and before you know it, you will be where you have always wanted to be.
About the Author
For more advice, information and support on inspiration for motivation, visit: http://www.empowersu.com. Download our free motivation boosting course here: http://www.empowersu.com/resources/free-motivation/motivation-exercises.html